Monday, November 7, 2011

Meet the CSC Staff

Get to know the staff here at Classic Stage Company! Next up, meet CSC's Company Manager, John C. Hume.

How long have you worked at CSC? 
I have worked in the CSC box office for three seasons but starting just this month I have been promoted to Company Manager.
 
Tell us about what you do on a daily basis. 
A Company Manger works directly with the artists that create the shows we all love so much. I work with the directors, actors and designers to help make their experience at CSC a positive one. A Company Manager is also a bit of a jack-of-all-trades I'm learning. I have to arrange a flight for an artist, plan a birthday celebration for a cast member. For THE CHERRY ORCHARD I have had to call professional theatrical dog trainers to try to find/cast a dog for the show! It's all a lot of fun.
 
What did you do prior to joining CSC? 
For four years I worked at The Barrow Street Theatre in a variety of capacities and before that I worked at MIT in the Rotch Architecture and Urban Planning Library (back when theater was just a hobby and not my job!).
 
What has been your favorite CSC production to work on? 
How can you pick just one? VENUS IN FUR was, of course, a huge favorite of mine and THE SCHOOL FOR LIES (I almost fell out of my chair when Alison Fraser's character went all batty!), but my all time favorite was my first show here: THE SEAGULL. Such a beautiful and elegant production.
 
What is your favorite classical work?
I trained as an actor in college and went to conservatory in London and there they really instilled a love for all of the classics in me. However I have a particular soft spot for AS YOU LIKE IT, as I had the honor of playing Orlando in a fantastic production many years ago.
 
What do you like to do in your free time?
I do still perform now and then. I joke that I am the "darling of downtown cabaret" because the shows I have done at The Duplex have turned out to be quite popular with my friends and co-workers. I can sing a pretty mean show tune!

What’s your favorite CSC neighborhood hang out spot and why?
I was never a coffee connoisseur before working at CSC but Everyman Espresso is now part of my every day routine. And for dinner? You have to hit up John's of 12th Street. Have you had their pizza? And the name of the place is pretty cool too :) 

What is your favorite color?
Green.
 
What is your favorite book?
Howard's End--a classic...just like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment